Sunday 20 December 2009

Sunday Scribblings


Today's subject is dare. My rhyme is inspired by all the hiking I've been doing in the beautiful weather this weekend.

THE PATH

Through winter snow and summer sun
Old autumn leaves and spring’s new bud
The aged path meanders on
Over chalk and ice and mud

It hugs white cliffs by wild shore
Then winds up over open downs
And crosses meadow grass before
Descending through small antique towns

What ancient feet carved out this trail?
What destinations did they seek?
Countless men this route have scaled
Yet every journey’s quite unique

To walk this path myself, I dare
And follow every way it goes
In climate either grim or fair
I struggle through its highs and lows

When tired and wet with mud and grime
Then I remind myself anew
The summit reached by hardest climb
Will offer me the greatest view

At night when I lie down to sleep
Beneath a soft, warm quilt I hide
At slumber’s edge the thought I keep
I know the path still waits outside

3 comments:

  1. nice poem. would love to walk the trail with you. Maybe some time we can make a date to walk different trails together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being an ex-patriot Brit I could feel the very essence of a hike in the old country in your fine poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful - the image is lovely and the physical path as well as life path fit this well.

    ReplyDelete