Wednesday 24 February 2010

3WW: A Roundel of February Promise

The landscapes tease with harbingers of spring
Their subtle clues a sign of thawing freeze
And rich regeneration new warmth brings
          The landscapes tease

While yet we suffer winter’s piercing breeze
Enduring life within its icy sting,
In melancholy dark’s firm grip we’re seized,

To meagre hope of better times we cling
And dream of summer’s merriment and ease.
With vibrant thoughts of nature on the wing
          The landscapes tease

The words this week are generate, meagre, tease


Ok, I'll admit that my very first though on seeing the prompt was "ooh, tease, that rhymes with fleas", and seriously considered writing about a lice-ridden werewolf to go with last week's dentally-challenged vampire. But that would just be overkill.

14 comments:

  1. I like your footnote! Tease rhyming with fleas. I never thought of that!

    LOL!

    airing that fire

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just such a collection of great lines in this. I find myself enduring the sting of winter's icy grip on my soul. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. You've captured the psychology of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has a wonderful flow - I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job using just those two rhymes! You describe is so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful piece. I too am awaiting winter's end.

    -Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. great poem. I'm ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lovely rhyme;

    I never thought of fleas rhyming with tease either :)

    yes, to hope I too cling (beautiful words)...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just when you think it's safe to leave your coat at home...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful take on the prompt, "the landscapes tease" -- slowly but surely, I'm seeing more signs of Spring! And bwahahaha @ "lice-ridden werewolf." :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. piercing breeze - love that! I think I would like the flea ridden werewolf tale too though :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rhyme works so well for this! Excellent read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. poetic justice to winter's grasp and spring's sweet song.... just the other day i saw tulips and crocus peeking out!!!

    ReplyDelete