Sunday 7 February 2010

To the Woman Beside Me on the Train

Sitting next to a woman on a busy commuter train on Friday, this is the message I wanted to give her. Sadly, being English, I didn't like to make a scene, so I seethed in silence instead.

To the woman beside me on the train:
Yes, I know that this trip is an utter pain
That these seats are designed for a smallish sparrow
With the leg room short and the width so narrow
But you're wriggling and kicking as you twist about the place
Do you even know the meaning of the words "personal space"?
It's so crowded and noisy that like cattle we feel
And your actions make it worse, therefore I propose this deal:
If you 'accidentally' poke me with your elbow where I'm sitting
'Unwittingly' I'll jab you with the needle from my knitting.


Spleen vented. Thank you.

9 comments:

  1. Ha, brilliant! and isnt it a shame our Britishness sometimes gets in the way of our comfort...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great - what a perfect deal to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. This made me laugh out loud. Love the humour at the situation. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I've met a few people on the bus I'd like to do this to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOLOL I prefer to seethe in silence as well...sometimes making a scene can make it worse. Someone has to take the high road. Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is well put. what a giggle I had reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever, cute, and funny. I agree with your composure. What were you knitting?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this was so clever : ). I hope she leaves you alone and stops bumping into you! : )

    ReplyDelete