Sunday 17 January 2010

The Ballad of the Cambridge Alumna


No more punting after sunset
In the moonlight soft and cool
Snuggle warmly under blankets
Up to Byron’s silent pool

No more all night long debating
Arguing of high ideals
Until dawn ideas creating
Limping home in kitten heels

Reading Homer in the meadows
Sipping wine beside the Cam
Where the willows cast their shadows
Where the yellow ducklings swam

No more parties in pyjamas
No more parties in ball gowns
No more plays and no more dramas
Acting fools around the town

Though the sun’s still brightly shining
Though the cold east wind still blows
Though the punts are still reclining
Where the river Cam still flows

We are finished with our learning
Notes lie on the rubbish heap
Now we use our days for earning
We must use our nights to sleep

Inspired by Sunday Scribbling: The good old days

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely delightful! A real air of nostalgia. I never went to University, but you've made me wish I'd made the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, takes me back too. Funnily enough I keep dreaming I'm back at Uni - wonder what that means...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was beautifully nostalgic, and read so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Dreamy yet real. I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extremely well done. I liked the use of "punt" and the way in which it was done

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a dream it is to dream this way. i can highly relate!

    God Ol' Days'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made me nostalgic for something I have never even experienced! Lovely verse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love rhymes:)

    yours is simply amazing! lovely verse...

    ReplyDelete