Friday 22 January 2010

Grouches, hypocrites and Keira

The world's a mess. Absolutely. We've fucked it.
So why not just sit back and deconstruct it?
Martin Crimp- The Misanthrope

I went to see Moliere's The Misanthrope at the Comedy Theatre this week, starring Damien Lewis (that guy from The Forsyte Saga) and Keira Knightly. The acting was fine, there was nothing wrong with it, but it was the script that blew me away. I'm going to confess that I'm not entirely familiar with the original, my seventeenth century French being not all that it should be, but Martin Crimp's translation was a rhymers delight. Two solid hours of rhyme! I was in heaven...

People will speak highly of a pile of shit
if they've dressed up and spent fifty quid just to see it
Martin Crimp- The Misanthrope

No comments:

Post a Comment